Monday, March 17, 2008

Out lasting the President

So the other day I was talking with a friend of mine and the subject came up about politics. We started discussing some things about the current presidential campaign, and then I got struck with a thought. By the time I graduate, I will have been in college while 3 different presidents have held office; one for two terms. That’s pretty crazy! To think that the decisions that each president to this point, has affected my not only as an American, but also as a student. Most normal people only last through one maybe two presidents, but not through full terms. The worst part is that since I have turned 18 years old and have had the ability to vote, I never had. I always had some half ass excuse to not go out and vote. It was always something lame too, like I have to work, or I think both candidates are shitty... blah blah! I never really took into consideration that regardless how much I hated each candidate, that without me voicing my opinion I'm jeopardizing my collegiate life.
Now that I am 28 years old, and getting close to graduating I'm just now realizing how important it is to voice my opinion and vote. I still believe that my vote literally counts for nothing... hell that’s everyone’s vote technically. I mean no matter who you vote for president, the electoral college picks the person they think will do the best job. While they are suppose to pick who the American public pick, this is not always the case. As with the Bush/ Gore Presidential race. Gore won the Majority vote, while Bush won the electoral college vote. This makes things look rigged and makes you not want to vote at all, especially when some of the states where the majority voted Gore, but the Electoral voted Bush. But, hey they know best apparently. That’s why the Electoral college was established to begin with, to make sure the right person got into office. But the way I see it, is that if you don't vote you can't bitch about the horrible job the president is doing... and God knows how much the American public loves to complain about the President!

2 comments:

MagicPanda said...

So you're going to be in school until the Spring of next year?

MagicPanda said...

So you're going to be in school until Spring of '09?