Thursday, March 27, 2008

A Live Blog Experiment part 3

Day 3

Thursday

11:00am - Today feels off for some reason. Maybe it's the nerves of this being the last day of voting, maybe it's something else. I don't know. I'm doing a lot of second guessing about things now that it's almost over. Things we should have done differently, thoughts of whether I should have sacrificed graduating this semester to run, and many other little things going through my mind. But just like the last two days I'm at the out in the breezeways and pathways trying to get people to vote.

12:30pm - I decide that today I'm going to skip my blog writing class, because I find it more important to be out here talking to the masses and pushing the Eagle Party vote.

2:00pm - It's getting close to time. Elections end at 5:00pm and we find out the results at 5:30pm. My nerves are starting to get the best of me. I'm rattling on the insides but I'm cool and collected on the outside. I've gotta be strong for the rest of my senators, they are frantically nervous and scared at the same time. I can't help but be nervous myself. I've put so much on the line for this campaign.

5:00pm - The polls are closed and the results are being tallied. However, I now have to go to an audition for theatre. It kind of sucks because as much as I want to audition I don't want to be there. I'd much rather be standing with my friends and party members freaking out about the results. Luckily the audition is a fairly easy one where we just kinda play these warm up games.

6:00pm - I call up my running mate to see if the results are out yet. To my unexpectedness, they have yet to announce them. So I grab my things and run over to the student union.

6:15pm - Out of breath and exhausted from the hike I finally reach the top of the stairs at the Union, but as I look at the doors of the Senate Chambers, I see the look of defeat, of bad surprise, of confusion, and of just plain sadness. It's not the look I was looking forward to, or expecting to see. We had not only lost the presidential and Vice-presidential race, but our senators pretty much got shut out of the Senate. It was bad. I was upset but I felt more upset for my senators who work so hard the last three weeks. I felt like I had failed them most of all. It's tough to watch a group of 30 people who obviously don't have the experience or the knowledge, or even just flat out belong in senate get the win because they just happen to be in a certain party. My Senators were definitely the more qualified of the group. But in the end, that just wasn't enough.

7:30pm - It was a tough and grueling three weeks of preparation and campaigning, but someone always has to lose in the end. It sucks to be us, but now it allows me to focus on some other things like graduating in the Fall, or working and paying bills, or sleep. But right now, all my focus is gonna be on getting drunk at the Ale House. Go Eagle Party!

1 comment:

Christine M said...

I think that they need to stop pairing groups of senators with presidential candidates. Like you said, we end up with half the new senators being less-than-stellar candiates because they rode someone elses coat tails.